The following outlines everything Elite and Age Group competitors need to know about earning a spot at all 5 Regional Championships, and the World Championship.
Categories Eligible for Qualification:
- Elite (all ages, male and female) (For more info: What you need to know about running Elite)
- Age Group (male and female) (For more info: What you need to know about running Age Group)
- Open (male and female) Open racers are invited to run at any of the Championship events in the open heat without any qualification.
Any competitor may freely sign up for these events, no prior qualification is needed. The top 10 male and female Elite finishers (with roll down) and top 10 male and female finishers in each age group (with roll down) unlock entry into the Championship for their region. For example, US National Series competitors will qualify for the North American Championship, held in Lake Tahoe.
2021 National/Regional Series are:
- United States National Series
- Canadian National Series
- UK + Ireland Regional Series
- France National Series
- Spain National Series
- Italy National Series
- CEU Regional Series
- DACH Regional Series
- Mexican National Series
- Australian National Series
- SEA Regional Series
- East Asia Regional Series
Middle East & Africa
- South African National Series
2021 Regional Championships
There are 4 2021 Regional Championship events:
- North American Championship (Tahoe Beast Saturday September 25th)
- European Championship (To Be Announced)
- Latin American Championship (To Be Announced)
- APAC Championship (To Be Announced)
Qualifying for Regional Championships
- Elite athletes may qualify for a Regional Championship by finishing in the top 10 at any regular season event in the elite heat.
- Age Group athletes may qualify for a Regional Championship by finishing in the top 10 of their Age Group category at any regular season event in the AG heat.
The period for qualification for any of the five Regional Championships is a rolling period (which may be more or less than 12 months), with the start and end dates determined by the window of time between the previous season’s championship and the next season’s championship.
The exact period of qualification is calculated by defining the start date as the first week-day following the previous season’s Regional Championship, and the last week-day before the first Elite heat of the next season’s Regional Championship. Local time in both locations governs the exact start and end times.
For example, the window of qualification for the 2021 European Championship is from the Monday after the 2019 European Championship in the Dolomites, Italy (0001 on Monday, 1st July 2019) to the day prior to the first Elite heat of the 2021 European Championship.
Determining Which Regional Championships Regular Season Events Qualify For
The geographical region where a regular season event is held determines which championship Elite and Age Group athletes qualify for.
For example, a regular season race held in Boston, Massachusetts in the United States would qualify Elite and Age Group athletes attending that event for the North American Championship, as Boston is located within North America.
2021 National Championships
There are 2 2021 National Championship events:
- New Zealand Championship(To Be Announced)
- Australian Championship (To Be Announced)
Qualifying for National Championships
- These events are open to all racers. No prior qualification is needed.
Qualifying for the 2021 World Championship
In total, there are 1140 total Elite spots and 4180 total Age Group spots at the World Championship:
Elite Qualifying Spots
Age Group Qualifying Spots
Competitors may qualify in five ways (Updated 25th of June.2021):
- (NEW) By ranking high enough at a single 2021 National or Regional Series event that takes place prior to 10/25/21. Spots are distributed based on the chart below
- (UPDATED) Once a series has completed or on 10/25/21 (whichever comes first), any spots not claimed by qualifiers from individual events will roll down based the series leaderboard. Spots are distributed based on the chart below.
- By ranking high enough at a Regional or National Championship (eg. North American, European). See the chart above for the number of spots allocated to each Regional Championship.
- (NEW) By ranking high enough at any 2021 event in the MENA region.
- Throughout 2021, Spartan reserves the right to designate select regular season events eligible for World Championship qualifying points, for both Elite and Age Group categories.
2021 Spartan World Championship Qualifying
The 2021 rolldown system features major modifications to the 2019 Elite and Age Group roll down process for World Championship qualification.
**Elite and Age Group Racers may sign up prior to qualifying for a spot.**
Any racer that has not qualified by meeting the standards laid out below by Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT will be moved to open with no refunds being made available for either the price difference in the heat nor the race entry itself.
2021 Spartan World Championship Qualifying Standards
The following table provides an overview of the 2021 World Championship qualifying system and spots allocated:
2021 Spartan World Championship Invitations
Invitations to qualified racers will be sent at the following times.
- Within 10 days of a series completion.
- In the case a series is not completed by Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT all Elite and Age Group leaderboards as they stand on this date for all global National & Regional Series, will be used to determine qualifying spots for the World Championship during.
- If any series events take place after this date and standings are affected by said events, World Championship invites will not be rescinded from competitors, however any new qualifiers will be extended an invitation to World Championship.
- Within 10 days following any National or Regional Championships (pending any outstanding officiating decisions).
- Monday October 25th 2021 at 12pm EDT (New York, GMT-4) Spartan World Championship Rolldown Week will begin. At this time, based on availability, emails with a qualifying code for entry to the World Championship will be sent by Spartan HQ to qualifying Elite and Age Group athletes who have not yet claimed their spot. These qualified athletes will be able to then complete registration for the 2021 World Championship.
- World Championship Rolldown Week will conclude on Sunday October 31st 2021 at 11:59pm EDT (New York, GMT-4).
Source: Spartan Races and Championship Team